Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Time Has Come

After much anticipation we leave tomorrow for Utah. When we left last Christmas we told the boys we would be back when Uncle Benny left for his mission. Those poor boys waited and waited. I have gone back twice and Ryan once while the two older boys were told they could not miss school. (So unfair!) My baby bro turned 19 in September. We had hoped he would leave in November and then when November came and there was no mission call I thought for sure he wouldn't go until January. The 1st part of November we finally got the phone call that he was going to Tulsa Oklahoma and then my mom gasped. I'm on the phone thinking what? what? Then my mom said he leaves Dec. 12. I'm thinking "could this be a worse time." But we had promised the boys and if we didn't go they would not see their uncle for three years. Besides, this is a very important example to my four boys. When I got off the phone I told the boys where he was going and they asked if they should go start packing. I said no we aren't going till Dec. Then they got all upset, I guess they assumed we would get the call and off we'd go. So in the middle of a super crazy month of Dec. we are off to Utah. So, if you don't get a Christmas card from me this year you will know that is one of those things I just didn't have time to do.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is great for your boys to see, I agree. I bet your mom is dying! I left on my Mission Dec 13th. It was so crazy for my mom too. I was just bummed I would miss Christmas with my family that year but Christmas in the MTC ended up being the best ever! Congrats to your brother. Have a fun trip. Stop by if you are in the area, I'd love to see you :)

Elena said...

You're kidding me. I'm off to Texas tomorrow. But, the boys will be here with Tom if you want to drop them off for a while. I'll be back on Wednesday night. Hope you are still here.

angie j. said...

Hope you guys are having a good time. Looking forward to our double date! If we can squeeze it in that is... :)

mamanicky said...

What a great example to your boys. I'm sure they think back to this trip when they're making the decision if they should serve missions as well.